The Best Canadian Casino Offers
The Canadian online casino market is growing all the time, meaning customers are in the driving seat when it comes to deciding where to play. There are many factors involved when it comes to finding the best online casinos — that’s where we come in.
At GamblingDeals, we review trusted Canadian casino sites to bring you the best options. If you’re ready to jump in, check out our list of the best online casinos in Canada and click through to claim a welcome bonus. If you’d like to learn more first, read on as we discuss everything you need to know.
Are Online Casinos Legal In Canada?
Yes, gambling at online casinos is legal in Canada. However, individual provinces have their own rules when it comes to gambling, with the legal age varying between 18 and 19. While the Canadian government does not issue licenses to online casinos, it is legal for Canadians to sign up with casinos that are licensed in other countries, such as with the Malta Gaming Authority.
What’s Our Process For Finding The Best Casino Offers Online?
There are plenty of options when it comes to online gaming in Canada. All serve up an instant access alternative to visiting a physical casino, but it can certainly be tricky to decide which site is the right choice for you.
The experts at Gambling Deals do a deep dive to check out everything from the games libraries to the payout options to the kind of customer support available. Of course, welcome offers are of paramount importance, and we assess not just the size of the bonuses, but terms and conditions including wagering requirements and time restrictions. We’ve thought of everything, so you don’t have to.
How We Choose The Best Canadian Online Casinos
Here at GamblingDeals, our expert team considers several key points when reviewing the quality of an online casino. The best online casinos in Canada will therefore fulfill the following criteria:
Accepts Canadian Players
First and foremost, the best Canadian online casinos must accept Canadian players, otherwise they couldn’t claim to be a Canadian casino at all. Many online casinos have restrictions on which countries are eligible to join the casino, so this is the first thing we check when reviewing a site.
Range of Licences
Unlicensed online casinos are illegal in Canada, so ensuring a site has a licence is another non-negotiable. Many trusted Canadian casino sites are licensed by several regulators, indicating that their standards meet those required in multiple jurisdictions. Licensing does not explicitly prevent online casinos from breaking rules, but it does mean they risk serious financial penalties for doing so.
Design and User Experience
It’s important that customers can navigate a site with ease, whether they are looking for something specific or browsing. A neat and tidy design with helpful search functions are therefore important. We’re also mindful of how suitable the colour scheme and aesthetics are for longer playing sessions — players should feel as comfortable as they would at a land-based casino.
With such a vast range of online casinos on the market, bonuses and promotions are one of the main ways an operator will try and stand out. It’s important to note that the best online casinos aren’t always the sites with the best bonuses, but it’s nonetheless a positive if a site offers a range, including welcome bonuses, deposit matches, free spins and VIP programs.
The best online casinos in Canada embrace a range of payment methods to give their customers plenty of choice. Some users prefer not to share their sensitive banking information with a site, so having the pick of a number of eWallets with fast withdrawals is a big plus.
It’s vital that an efficient customer support system is in place at any online casino. Customers can typically get in contact via email, phone or live chat — but not every site offers all three of those options. Another factor we look out for is whether the support is offered 24/7, as many customers choose to play at night.
Payment Methods At Canadian Online Casinos
The best real money casinos offer a range of payment methods to customers. Below you can check out some of the main methods available to Canadian users.
- Interac — Canadian company Interac operates the country’s debit card system and offers fast online transactions. Once your withdrawals have been processed by the casino, Interac payments are usually instant. Another positive is that there are no hidden fees involved.
- iDebit — iDebit is a Canadian service that acts as both an eWallet and a bank intermediary. You won’t need to share your bank details to make payments, nor create an account to deposit. However, you will need an account to withdraw funds, and it can take up to 5 days to be processed.
- eCheck — eCheck connects to your bank account and offers another way to avoid sharing your bank details with the online casino. It can be used for both deposits and withdrawals, with withdrawals taking around 3 days to process.
- InstaDebit — InstaDebit is a fast payment method that allows you to send and receive money without sharing your bank details — other than to set it up the first time. It is exclusively available to Canadian customers and is available at most online casinos. Withdrawals are sent to your bank directly, as InstaDebit simply acts as an intermediary.
- EcoPayz — EcoPayz is an online eWallet where you can set funds aside for use online. This means you can use EcoPayz to deposit and withdraw with an online casino without sharing your bank details. One drawback is there are small fees involved until you reach the Gold level by meeting specific account criteria, details of which can be found on the Canadian EcoPayz website.
- WebMoney — WebMoney is another eWallet option that only requires your bank details for the initial setup — not to share with the online casino. Deposits and withdrawals are instant once the casino has processed them, but there are fees of around 0.8%.
- AstroPay Card — An alternative is a pre-paid, virtual voucher like the AstroPay Card. It is usable for deposits only, which is a drawback as some casinos require you to withdraw with the same method you deposited with.
- Flexepin — Flexepin is another voucher that you top-up and spend online using a 16-digit code. It provides anonymity and security when depositing, but again you cannot withdraw onto it. There is a small fee when you originally purchase the voucher.
Casino Offers Canada Checklist
To ensure we always point Canadian players in the direction of the best online casinos, we review each site against a tried and tested checklist of attributes. Only those casinos that tick the right boxes make the list, so you can browse our selection of sites in complete confidence.
Casino Sites Checklist
- Trusted sites – our list is restricted to those casinos which are licensed by reputable regulatory bodies, which means you can look forward to a gaming experience that’s fair as well as exciting.
- Large games library – we examine each site’s games library, confirming whether players can enjoy table games, slots, video poker, and sportsbooks.
- Online slots – slots games always prove popular with our casino players, so we look for sites with plenty of titles, including progressive jackpot slots and generous odds.
- Live dealers – does the site allow new members to use their welcome bonus to enjoy live dealer games like live blackjack, live craps, and live roulette? If so, then you’ve got a great casino on your hands.
- Casino software developers – at GamblingDeals.com, we like to see casino games from pioneering developers like Playtech, Microgaming, NetEnt and Evolution.
- Deposit and withdrawal methods – we check payment and payout options, looking for established methods like Visa and Mastercard debit and credit cards, INSTADEBIT, bank transfer, and e-wallets like PayPal
- Speedy payouts – how long will players have to wait for their funds to clear the withdrawal process? Payout times will vary depending on the banking option used and we will detail various the payout times of each payment method for every casino we review.
- Customer support – we check how quickly site members can access support via live chat, email, or phone, in the event that help is needed with their casino account
Casino Offers Checklist
Once we’re satisfied that an online casino meets our strict requirements, we move on to looking at welcome offers using our second checklist.
- Available incentives – does joining an online casino as a new member make you eligible to receive rewards like a cashback offer or matched deposit bonus?
- Extra perks – along with bonus credits, does the casino offer players any added perks like free spins?
- Monetary value – when a new player accepts a bonus offer from a casino, how much can they expect to have in their bankroll?
- Wagering requirements – how many times will players need to bet their bonus amounts before they can request a payout?
- Terms and conditions – are bonus conditions that exist on top of wagering requirements clear and easy to understand?
It’s only when we’re completely satisfied that a casino meets both sets of criteria that we’ll add it to our list of recommended sites.
Best Online Casino Game Developers In Canada
We wouldn’t have such a great range of online slots and casino games available to play without the developers who make them. Check out some of the top providers below.
- NetEnt — NetEnt is a Swedish-based software developer that has produced a number of top slot games over the years such as Starburst and Gonzo’s Quest. The company has proved to be an innovator by pioneering features such as Avalanche/Cascading Reels that have gone on to be used elsewhere. Therese Hillman stepped down as NetEnt CEO just after the company was acquired by Evolution in December 2020.
- Playtech — Mor Weizer has been the CEO of Playtech since 2007 and has overseen a successful decade and a half for the company. Playtech is known for producing online slots, such as the Age of the Gods series, as well as land-based casino systems. Many online casinos use Playtech software across the majority of their games catalogue and are known as ‘Playtech casinos’.
- IGT — IGT’s holding company headquarters is in the UK, but the company has a number of operating headquarters globally and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Marco Sala is the long-serving CEO, having assumed the position in 2003. IGT is known for popular slots such as DaVinci Diamonds and Wolf Run.
- Novomatic — Novomatic was founded in 1980 and has been successful in a number of casino spaces, including land-based games, online slots, and lotteries. Its popular slots include Dolphin’s Pearl, Book of Ra, Amazon Diamonds.
- Evolution Gaming — Founded in 2006, Evolution Gaming is a major casino software provider specializing in live casino games. Many online casinos’ live sections consist entirely of Evolution games. The company acquired other major developers NetEnt and Red Tiger in 2020.
Best Online Casino Games
The best online casinos in Canada host a wide variety of games to suit all types of customers — check out some of the best real money online casino games below.
- Slots — Slot games are the most popular online casino games and involve matching identical symbols across a set of reels. While most slots have a fixed number of paylines and symbols per reel, some games use alternate mechanics such as Megaways that allow for more ways to win. The Return to Player (RTP) percentage averages around 96% and indicates payouts over the lifetime of the slot, while volatility is a measure of risk in the short-term.
- Roulette — Roulette originated in 18th century France and remains popular today at online casinos. Players bet on where the ball will land after the wheel stops spinning. There are 1 to 1 bets such as red/black and odd/even, and larger payouts for betting on the current number. Variations include American and European — the house edge is higher in American roulette as there are two zero spaces instead of one. Roulette strategies such as Martingale and D’Alembert focus on how much to bet per spin.
- Blackjack — In Blackjack, players turn over cards and compete against the dealer to get as close to 21 as possible without going bust. A key variation is the number of decks used in this game — the house edge decreases if fewer decks are used in the game. Online players often use Blackjack strategy charts which indicate whether to hit, stand, double, or split on certain hands.
- Craps — Craps is more commonly found at land-based casinos, but does feature on some online sites. The game involves betting on dice rolls, either against each other or against the house. One of the main bets is the pass line bet, which wins if you roll a 7 or 11.
- Baccarat — Baccarat is a comparing card game where players bet on three possible outcomes: the banker having a higher score, the player having a higher score, or a tie. Punto Banco is the dominant variation of the game in Canada, the US and UK and sticks to fixed drawing rules.
The Variety of Welcome Offers Available to Canadian Players
In the hugely competitive world of online gaming, casino sites often use welcome offers to stand out from the crowd. Here are just some of the different offers on the menu for new players.
With a matched deposit bonus, a casino site will match your deposit by a specified percentage up to a capped limit.
For example, a casino may offer “100% up to $1,000”. In this instance, if you sign up and make a first deposit of $50, you’ll be able to bet a total of $100 on your favourite online casino games like roulette and blackjack. The cap of $1,00 means that any amount you deposit over $1,000 won’t be matched.
It’s worth keeping a special lookout for online casinos that offer larger percentages in their welcome bonuses. It’s not uncommon to find offers like “200% up to $500” — a great deal that you won’t want to miss.
No Deposit Bonuses
With a no deposit bonus, you’ll be given betting funds as a thank you for signing up as a new member. In other words, no outlay is required at all.
An example of a no deposit casino offer could be “$50 free” for new members. In this case, creating a new account on an online casino site will see your bankroll beefed up by $50 with no deposit required. These bonuses can prove a great choice as they’re risk-free, though you should expect them to be on the smaller side. Remember too that wagering restrictions will often apply.
It’s always worth looking out for casinos that offer new players free spins on slot games. This kind of welcome offer often comes bundled with a matched or no deposit bonus.
You should always check the small print of any free spins offer, so there’s no disappointment when it comes to requesting a withdrawal. Some winnings may only be available as bonus funds, rather than real money you can withdraw to your bank account. You may also be required to use all your free spins within a given timeframe.
It’s possible to find welcome bonuses with no wagering requirements at all. This is great news for players, as it means that if you bag any winnings using your bonus credits, you can cash out right away.
No wagering can also apply to free spins bonuses. Slots offers with no wagering requirements mean that players who are lucky enough to get a winning line can request an immediate withdrawal, without any obligation to set the reels spinning again and again.
Welcome Bonus $7,000 + 120 Free Spins
Wagering Requirements on Casino Offers
As we touched on above, wagering requirements may apply to some bonuses. What these mean is that you’ll have to bet your bonus amount a number of times before your winnings can be accessed as real money.
Say there’s 20x wagering requirement attached to your welcome bonus of $100. This means you’ll have to bet a total of $2,000 to access winnings. Remember to check how different casino games are weighted with regards to wagering requirements. While bets placed on slots may contribute fully to the requirements, bets on table games like blackjack may only contribute 10% to the wagering amount.
Wagering requirements are attached to most online casino bonuses — they require you to wager a certain amount before you can withdraw bonus funds. They’re applied in various ways across different online casinos. Take a look at the following examples:
Let’s say you receive 10 free spins and win C$5. The wagering requirement is 20x. You’ll need to wager an additional 5 x 20 = C$100 before you can withdraw the C$5 you won.
If you receive C$10 bonus credit after depositing C$10, the deposit is not included, and the wagering requirement is 25x, you’ll need to wager an additional C$250.
If you receive C$10 bonus credit after depositing C$10, but this time the deposit amount is included alongside a 25x wagering requirement, your calculation will be (10 + 10) = 20 x 25x = C$500 wagering required.
Other Types of Canadian Casino Offers
The best online casinos offer a good range of ongoing promotions to their customers. Here are some to look out for.
Live Casino Offers
With real human dealers laying out cards and spinning roulette wheels in ritzy sets, live casino offers enhance what is the nearest thing to a bricks and mortar gambling experience. However, some online casinos might prevent players from using their welcome offer funds on live dealer games. The good news is that many casino sites have no such restrictions, and may even offer bonuses specifically for live dealer games.
Casino Cashback Offers
Another type of bonus worth snapping up is the casino cashback offer, which is sometimes billed as a loss rebate. With these, players get their losing bet refunded up to a certain maximum amount.
Let’s have a look at an example of a cashback bonus. Say a site offers “$100 real cashback on your first deposit”. This means that, if the slots aren’t kind or you’re dealt some bad baccarat hands, your losing stake will be given back to you up to a maximum cap of $100. The conditions attached to casino cashback offers may differ widely, so check the small print to be sure of what’s on offer.
Initiatives promoting responsible gambling in Canada include the Responsible Gambling Council (RGC). It is a non-profit organization that assists operators and regulators by reviewing their support systems and providing training to employees. The RGC also works to provide community support for people affected by gambling problems and helps raise awareness of the risks of gambling.
Below, you can find the RGC’s contact details:
411 Richmond Street East, Suite 205
Toronto, Ontario M5A 3S5
Phone: +1 (416) 499-9800
Should I Try Out An Offer From A New Casino?
New casinos pop up all the time and are always keen to attract new players. This enthusiasm on their part means that new casino sites can be a great place to find hefty bonus offers, along with great loyalty schemes, free prize draws and other perks.
When considering joining a new online casino, it’s important to be aware of any possible drawbacks. Potential disappointments might include a smaller library of games than you’d find at more established sites, or the absence of a native mobile app.
You can rest assured that only those sites that meet our strict checklists will make the list of recommended online casinos here at Gambling Deals.
Online gambling licenses in Canada are issued by individual provincial governments. However, there are only a limited number of Canadian sites with such licenses. For example, the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission has granted a license to one gaming website, called PlayAlberta, while in Ontario there’s a regulated online casino site run by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.
Millions of players in Canada prefer to use the numerous online casino sites that are based outside of the country. While these aren’t regulated by Canadian authorities, the best online casinos are licensed by reputable industry watchdogs with strict quality control standards, such as the Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission. At Gambling Deals, we only recommend licensed sites, so you can bet safely every time.
Ready to Play at a Top Canadian Casino?
Now that you’re up to speed with the essential information about online casino offers and how they work, why not put your newfound knowledge to the test? Browse our carefully curated list of welcome offers from the best online casinos, choose your favourite, and click through to sign up today!
Last Thoughts on CA Online Casinos
Now you’ve had the rundown on the key features of online casinos in Canada, including games, developers and payment methods, along with how we choose the best casinos, you’re ready to jump into the action.
Check out our lists of the best, trusted Canadian casino sites and click through to sign up and take advantage of a welcome offer. Don’t forget to also check out the latest promo codes available. If you’re keen to find out more information first, you can take a look at more casino reviews across our site.